Baking with pumpkin is one of my favorite ways to get in the fall spirit. This cake is moist and full of spice and flavor. While everyone is carving and decorating their pumpkins, you can decorate your very own pumpkin cake however you like! I made some green chocolate leaves and served each piece with one, but using orange for jack-o-lantern eyes work just as well. This beautiful cake will be the centerpiece of any fall dessert table. Enjoy!
- 2 1/2 C all-purpose flour
- 2 t baking powder
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 1 1/4 t salt
- 2 1/2 t ground cinnamon
- 1 1/4 t ground ginger
- 1/4 t ground nutmeg
- 1/2 t ground all-spice
- 1/4 t ground cloves
- 1 1/4 stick unsalted butter (10 tablespoons)
- 1 1/4 C firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/4 C granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 C milk
- 1 1/4 C pumpkin puree
- 1/2 C chopped walnuts
- 1/2 C chopped candied ginger
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 4 T unsalted butter
- 1/2 C confectioners sugar
- 1/4 t vanilla
- Have all ingredients at room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and generously grease and flour small bundt pan or pumpkin mold.
- To make the cake, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and all spices into medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a electric mixer bowl, beat butter 1-2 minutes until creamy. Add brown and granulated sugars and beat approx 5 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs 1 at a time beating well after each addition.
- Add the flour mixture in three batches along with the milk until completely blended.
- Add pumpkin puree and beat until well incorporated. Fold in walnuts and candied ginger.
- Transfer to baking pan and bake for 1 hour 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake is clean when removed.
- Let cake cool on wire rack.
- While cake cools, beat cream cheese on medium until smooth.
- Add butter and beat approx 1-2 minutes until well combined.
- Gradually add sugar and vanilla, continue to beat until smooth.
- Frost center of cake and place halves together (Shaving cake middles when necessary to have a perfect fit)
- decorate the top as desired
Makes 8-10 servings