I’ve been wanting to make a tart all year long and this recipe was worth the wait! Cherry and almond pair well together in this unique recipe. The Amarena cherries come from Bologna, Italy and have a dark color and bitter taste. Combine those with sweet almond paste, and you’ve got the perfect balance of flavors. The filling is spongier than a traditional tart filling and will be enjoyed by the entire family. I used a mini springform tart pan for an individual size.
- 1 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter (cubed, chilled)
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 7 ounces almond paste
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (softened)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 and 1/2 cups Amarena cherries (pitted, halved)
- 2 tsp cherry juice
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- confectioners’ sugar (dusting)
- Combine flour, sugar and butter in mixer until pebbles form.
- Add egg yolk and vanilla.
- Mix until dough ball forms.
- Cover dough ball in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 45 minutes to 1 hour
- Add almond paste and butter to mixer. Mix until combined.
- Add flour and sugar.
- Add eggs one at a time, followed by cherry juice.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and separate into number of tart pans. Roll out individual dough ball to cover each tart pan.
- Cover pan with dough and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven, let cool and fill center with tart filling (leave room for filling to rise).
- Press cherries and almonds into filling.
- Bake for 20 more minutes at 375º or until center is thoroughly cooked.
- Remove from oven and dust with powdered sugar.
Pairs well with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and good company.