Strawberry shortcake is one of those desserts I’ve always loved but haven’t ever tried to make myself. After creating this recipe, I will be making it a lot more often. It does require a trip to the store to purchase buttercream and fresh strawberries, but it is oh-so worth it! The flaky, buttery biscuits are so delicious. A forkful of sweet cream, biscuit and strawberry is the perfect way to end any day. And it’s fun to get your hands messy with the dough! Try this recipe today.
Ingredients (makes 6 biscuits):
- 2 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, very cold
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1 cup organic heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups strawberries
- fresh mint, for garnish
- Add 1 tbsp of sugar to bowl of sliced strawberries. Toss and set aside
- Whisk together flour, sugar and baking powder.
- Melt butter and cool slightly. Pour into bowl of very chilled buttermilk. Stir until tiny clumps form.
- Add buttermilk mixture to dry ingredients. Stir together until dough ball forms.
- Place dough on floured pastry board. Knead dough ball with hands a few times and pat until dough is about 1/2 an inch thick.
- Fold 1/3 of dough into middle and fold remaining third over as well.
- Press out circles with biscuit cutter. Refold remaining dough and repeat process until all of the dough is used.
- Place on ungreased baking sheet and bake biscuits for 13 -15 minutes or until lightly golden.
- While biscuits bake, combine heavy whipping cream, sugar and vanilla extract with an electric mixer on high. Stop mixing when soft peaks form in cream and it is fairly stiff.
- Place in refrigerator until ready to serve.
- When biscuits are done and slightly cooled, cut in half.
- Top bottom half with a scoop of cream and strawberries. Place other half of biscuit on top.
- Add additional cream, strawberries and mint to the top of the biscuit.
- Refrigerator or serve immediately.