It’s called a bake, but let’s be honest, this recipe is a gourmet macaroni and cheese. With fresh broccolini and chicken, the servings are filling and full of cheesy goodness. One of my favorite parts is the breadcrumb topping. It serves as a nice compliment to the smooth dish. For my family, there were no leftovers when I made this (and no empty stomachs)! I hope you enjoy it as well.
Ingredients (makes 4-6 servings):
- 1 T extra virgin olive oil
- 2 C low-fat milk
- 1 Lb cooked and shredded, boneless chicken breast meat
- 1 t dijon mustard
- 8 Oz reduced fat cream cheese
- 12 Oz large elbow macaroni
- 8 Oz medium cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 C fresh breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook noodles in a large pot of salted water for 3 minutes.
- Add Broccolini and cook an additional 2 minutes. Drain the noodles and broccolini, reserving 1 C of water.
- In a large saucepan, bring milk to simmer.
- Add mustard and cream cheese and lightly whisk. Add fresh ground pepper to taste.
- Add noodles & broccolini, reserved water, cheese.
- Toss well and place in a large baking dish.
- In a separate bowl, toss breadcrumbs with olive oil and sprinkle over casserole.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes, then remove foil and increase heat to broil for 4 minutes.