Welcome to the first day of spring! This year is going by faster than I imagined it would, but, then again, I might say that every year. Every season is filled with its own ups and downs, but spring always feels especially busy to me. And it always feels like we’re waiting for summer to come. If you want your spring to slow down a bit, try making this risotto for a family meal. Asparagus is a popular spring vegetable, so bring in the new season with a comforting home cooked meal. Take time with your family and enjoy the night!
Ingredients: (makes four servings)
- 5 oz. Arbario rice
- 3 oz. fresh asparagus, cut in to small pieces
- 5 baby portobello mushrooms, chopped
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 1/2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 4 oz. dry white wine
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 small shallot finely chopped
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan plus additional for topping
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- Warm olive oil in a non-stick sauce medium pan
- Sautè shallot and garlic for two minutes until fragrant
- Pour broth in a medium pan. Heat until broth boils, then reduce to medium-low and keep over heat while cooking.
- Add asparagus, mushrooms and rice. Sauté on medium heat for two minutes.
- Turn heat up to medium-high, add wine stirring constantly until completed evaporated.
- Pour half of broth into mixture and continue to add remaining broth little by little, stirring as you add.
- Add broth until rice is completely cooked al dente.
- Remove from heat and stir in parmesan.
- Cover and let sit two minutes before serving.
Filling and delicious.