During the holiday season, there always seems to be some leftover turkey around. Sometimes it’s hard to get creative with how to prepare them for the next meal! Pairing the turkey with onions, mushrooms and provolone creates the perfect holiday French dip. The turkey au jus has a wonderful flavor, and your family will actually enjoy the turkey leftovers this year!
- 1 roasted turkey breast (or leftover turkey)
- 12 oz low sodium chicken broth
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 small onion, sliced into rings
- 8 baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- 1 baguette, sliced into thirds
- Slice turkey and remove from bones.
- Place bones and skin in medium saucepan and simmer in chicken broth for 1/2 hour.
- While broth simmers, heat olive oil in medium saucepan.
- Add onions and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and saute for an additional 3 minutes.
- Cut baguette pieces lengthwise. Butter insides of bread.
- Heat oven to broil and lightly toast one half of each baguette.
- Remove from oven and top with turkey, onions and mushrooms and cheese.
- Place top half of buttered bread on pan with sandwiches.
- Broil for 2-3 minutes until cheese is bubbly and top half of bread is toasted.
- Place tops on sandwiches and slice in half.
- Strain au jus from saucepan, leaving any small pieces of meat in the broth and serve in small bowls with sandwiches.