This Fourth of July bring a little barbecue into your life! Instead of a traditional mayonnaise filled potato salad, pair barbecue chicken with a healthy sweet potato salad and chili corn! The flavors in this meal are strong and the homemade barbecue sauce fresh and even tastier than the bottled version. Have fun grilling with your friends and family this Fourth of July! Plus, the recipes included are pretty simple so you’ll have plenty of time to float around the pool or go to the beach.
Barbecue Chicken Ingredients:
- 6 bone in chicken pieces
Barbecue Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 T vegetable oil
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 1 C tomato sauce
- 3 T dijon mustard
- 2 T fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 C firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 t ground allspice
- 1/4 t ground ginger
- 2 T honey
- salt and ground pepper
Barbecue sauce directions:
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and saute for 10 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir well.
- Bring to slight boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer until desired thickness.
- Can be refrigerated up to one week.
Barbecue Chicken Directions:
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper on all sides.
- Spray or brush grill with olive oil.
- Place chicken skin side down on medium-low flame ( approx 300 degrees).
- Let cook for 10-15 minutes, then turn and cook and additional 10-15 minutes.
- Coat each side with BBQ sauce and cook for an additional 5 minutes on each side.
- Chicken is done when no longer pink when cut near the bone. Serve with additional sauce, yum!
Chili Corn on the Cob Ingredients:
- 6 ears of fresh corn in the husks
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/4 t ground pepper
- 1 T chili powder
- 1/2 t ground cumin
- 1 T unsalted butter, melted
Chili corn on the cob directions:
- Pull husks away from corn leaving them attached at the stem. Remove silks from corn.
- Soak ears of corn in bowl of water for twenty minutes.
- Melt butter and stir in remaining ingredients.
- Brush ears of corn with butter mixture and re-wrap in husks.
- Wrap each ear in aluminum foil.
- Place on medium grill for 15 minutes, rotating frequently.
- To test doneness, pierce thru foil with a fork. Remove from grill and enjoy!
Sweet Potato Ingredients:
- 3 sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large avocado
- mixed spring greens
- light vinaigrette
Sweet potato Directions:
- Wash and dry sweet potatoes
- Pierce each potato 4-5 times with a fork
- Microwave for 2 minutes
- Let cool and slice into quarters
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper then brush with olive oil
- Place potatoes on grill over medium low heat, rotate every 5 minutes until tender
- Remove potatoes and let cool
- Toss with lettuce and light vinaigrette
- Garnish with avocado slices
Happy Fourth of July!