As we start off the New Year, I think it’s fun to explore different options dessert options. Dessert doesn’t always have to be all about the icing, frosting, and cake! Sometimes it’s nice to use a sweet, fresh piece of fruit and play with its flavors. Combining pear with red wine, vanilla, and cinnamon creates this delicious poached pear dessert that can stand by itself or goes well with a nice scoop of ice cream. It’s classy, tasty, and very cost efficient! Enjoy for any special occasion dinner like Valentine’s Day!
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 vanilla bean
- 4 Bosc pears, peeled, stems left on
- In a large saucepan combine wine, lemon juice, sugar, vanilla bean and cinnamon stick. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat, and place pears stem side up in wine mixture.
- Add enough water to cover them completely. Simmer slowly for twenty minutes.
- Remove pears and place on shallow serving dish.
- Increase heat under sauce pan and boil until reduced to about one cup.
- Drizzle reduced liquid over pears and serve warm or cold.