I threw this recipe together last minute for a Christmas Eve dessert, and it was a big hit! Blackberries and pears are both a winter fruit, so it was easy to pick up the ingredients in store. If you don’t have a pie pan or are looking to change up your typical pie recipe, the slab pie is an easy option as well. Decorate the top with whatever shapes you like. I used a snowflake cookie cutter to decorate mine! Warm it up and serve with a little vanilla ice cream and your last minute dessert can turn into the hit of the party.
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup cold butter
- 6 tbsp ice cold water
- 3 containers fresh blackerries
- 2 ripe pears
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- Cut butter into small one inch cubes and mix in flour on medium speed
- Add cold water to the mixture until dough ball forms
- Refrigerate one hour (or leave in the refrigerator overnight)
- Peel pears and chop into inch long pieces, combine with blackberries over low heat in a medium pan. Cook until fruit is tender.
- Add sugar and cornstarch and stir occasionally
- Roll out dough ball so that it covers the pan, cook at 350º for 15 minutes
- Remove pie crust from oven and add fruit mixture
- Cover with lattice or extra decorations and place in oven for another 25 minutes or until crust is a golden brown
Serve warm with some ice cream for an extra sweet treat!