As if waffles couldn’t get any better, this waffle recipe takes the cake. The addition of ricotta makes it moist and fluffy while the cornmeal gives it a crispy texture and rich taste that will have the entire house smelling like your favorite breakfast shop. This recipe can be a Christmas morning breakfast or even a fun weekend option. All you have to do is pull down the waffle iron, stir up the ingredients, and devour them before they go cold!
- 1 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 cup milk
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cup cake flour
- 1/2 cup fine, yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted, plus additional for serving
- Maple syrup
- Fresh berries
- Preheat waffle iron to 200º.
- Whisk ricotta, milk, egg yolks, and sugar in a large bowl.
- Mix dry ingredients in a medium size bowl.
- Whisk the dry ingredients into the ricotta mixture and stir in melted butter.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Fold the egg whites into the ricotta batter until completely mixed.
- Coat waffle iron with non-stick spray and scoop 1 1/2 c of batter onto the waffle iron.
- Close and cook until golden & crisp.
- Serve immediately or keep warm in oven.
- Top with berries, butter, and syrup!
Watch the entire stack disappear!