I have to say, this may be my all time favorite breakfast. During the holidays, waking up to the delicious smell of sweet, warm breakfast baking in the oven is one of the best feelings. Especially when it’s French toast and cream cheese. The best thing about this French toast, aside from the amazing flavor, is that you can make in advance and leave it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to bake it. The baked blueberries take on a soft, warm texture that will melt in your mouth and get you ready for the holidays or any day of the week. Have a piece for me!
- 1 loaf french bread (day old if possible)
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 C low fat milk
- 1/2 C, and 2T packed, brown sugar (divided)
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1t cinnamon
- 1/4 C butter, melted
- 6 oz fresh blueberries
- 4 oz lite cream cheese
- Cut bread into 1” cubes. Place in large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine eggs, milk, 1/2 C brown sugar, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Whisk together and slowly stir with bread cubes.
- Place 1/2 of bread mixture into a grease baking dish.
- Place chunks of cream cheese and 3 oz of blueberries evenly over top of bread mix.
6. Layer with remaining bread mix and then remaining blueberries.
7. Cover and refrigerate overnight
8. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.
9. Combine butter and remaining brown sugar. Pour over the top.
10. Bake uncovered at 400 for 30 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.